About This Company
The City of Pendleton had its beginning in the early 1860's when Moses Goodwin purchased land from a squatter for one span of horses. In 1868 the Umatilla County Court (established six years earlier) had a three-member selection committee to determine a site for the County Buildings. The site selected was between Birch and Wildhorse Creek to be named Pendleton in honor of Senator George H. Pendleton of Ohio (1864 Vice presidential candidate for the United States). In December of that year, Moses Goodwin and his wife deeded 2 1/2 acres of land to the county from which the original town was platted on December 18, 1868. Pendleton was officially incorporated on October 25, 1880, with a population of 730 inhabitants. The early days found the citizens of Pendleton involved in many construction activities. A City Hall was constructed in 1908. The Umatilla River levy, and the water transmission line were completed around 1915. The early Council minutes and ordinances reflect the colorful history of Pendleton. The first ordinance of the City dealt directly with drunkenness in public places, fights, and discharging of guns within the City limits. There are also accounts in the City Council minutes about Council members having to wade through knee deep mud and sewage from the inadequate septic tank drainage within the City. These major public works problems were overcome through the concerted efforts of citizens and through many trips by the Mayor of Pendleton to Salem to encourage the State legislature to allow the City to increase the debt limits of the City. The City of Pendleton, as a municipal corporation, has a proud history in terms of the service levels provided to our citizens. The services of ambulance, library, planning, police and fire protection, parks, water and sewer utilities, airport, building codes and zoning administration, and street maintenance all have a direct effect on our quality of life here in Pendleton. The City of Pendleton proudly continues to move forward with an eye to the future while maintaining a keen awareness of the need to maintain the infrastructure and livability of Pendleton.