Bioengineering is an interdisciplinary field that operates at the nexus of living systems and human design, incorporating engineering principles with life science. Bioengineers create new materials, devices, and processes for medical applications and biotech industries. Their work is key to developing technologies for human health (including pharmaceuticals, drug delivery systems, diagnostic tools, implants, and imaging systems), biomaterials, and bioreactors.
Key Course Highlights
- Surface Analysis
- Cell Engineering
- Biomedical Image Processing
Internship Project Samples
- New Product Design
- Process Improvement
- Product Development
- Revise/Write Risk Assessments
- Update Equipment Operating Procedures
- Update Standard Operating Procedures
Active Company Participants
The following participating companies have taken BioE students in the recent past (within the last 5 years):
MECOP currently accepts Bioengineering students from the following universities:
- Oregon State University - Discipline in Pilot - Discipline in Pilot
The following timeframes have been laid out by our participating universities for when an internship should be offered. These timeframes have been structured to allow students to participate in the program and not fall behind on their upper-division coursework schedule beyond the terms that internships overlap.
Oregon State University
- Junior Year: Spring-Summer Internship
- Senior Year: Summer-Fall Internship
- Spring-Summer Internship: Internship occurring during Spring and Summer school terms (March through September).
- Summer-Fall Internship: Internship occurring during Summer and Fall school terms (June through December).
Each participating university discipline has a set of required courses that must be taken to stay on schedule for program participation. Theses requirements are optimized to provide the necessary skills to participate in MECOP's internships while minimizing the amount of time added to receiving a degree. If you are a student and want to discuss your current academic qualifications please see our directory of advisors for a list of staff members familiar with MECOP.
- For a full listing of coursework requirements, please visit: https://www.mecopinc.org/students/course-requirements
- Need a spreadsheet to plan your coursework? For sample worksheets, please visit: https://www.mecopinc.org/students/curriculum-plans
- Oregon State University
- Need to talk to an advisor familiar with MECOP? For advisor contact info, please visit: https://www.mecopinc.org/universities/advisors