Students are selected into the program through two screening processes. First, they are screened academically after their sophomore year. This is primarily an effort to ensure that students are academically qualified to take upper-division courses. A second screening takes place through an interview process during which MECOP company representatives interview the students applying for the program. The goal of this screening is to make every effort to insure that the students are qualified and ready for future internship placement.
- Real work experience
- Two paid six-month internships
- Opportunity to experience two different work environments, management styles etc.
- Exposure and connections to over 125 of the Northwest's best companies and their working engineers
- Gain "insider" career choice knowledge
- Learn academic and personal strengths and weaknesses from experience
- Make more informed course selections
- Finance all or a major portion of your education
- Develop the ability to understand and grasp course content upon return to the University
- Develop maturity, confidence, enthusiasm and a higher starting salary
View all student testimonials
MECOP was instrumental to my getting where I'm at. After my first internship had ended, I continued to work as an intern part time for another 6 months while going to school. At the end of my second 6 month internship, I accepted a full time position with my second internship company as an engineering technician. I remained in that position for the next year and a half while continuing to take classes. This past spring I accepted a full time position at the company I did my first internship at. I would strongly encourage any and all engineering students to get involved with MECOP. My situation was somewhat unique because I continued to work for these companies after the internships had ended. That being the case, when I graduate in a week I will have over 3 years of paid industry experience (as well as benefits like tuition reimbursement) to bolster my career. I have been working as a titled and salaried engineer for the past 3 months now - even before I received my degree. There's no way that would have happened without the MECOP program. Thank you for the opportunity!
Participating Student Disciplines
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Computer Science
- Construction Engineering Management
- Electrical Engineering
- Energy Systems Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
Other Important Information & Considerations:
- Coursework Requirements
- Curriculum Plans
- Disciplines Involved in MECOP
- Insurance Coverage
- Loans & Scholarship Opportunities
What happens after I fill out my application?
Other information regarding the application process, including interview information can be found at the link below:Selection interview information