Students are selected into the program through two screening processes. First, they are screened academically after their sophomore year. This is primarily an effort to ensure that students are academically qualified to take upper-division courses. A second screening takes place through an interview process during which MECOP company representatives interview the students applying for the program. The goal of this screening is to make every effort to insure that the students are qualified and ready for future internship placement.
- Real work experience
- Two paid six-month internships
- Opportunity to experience two different work environments, management styles etc.
- Exposure and connections to over 125 of the Northwest's best companies and their working engineers
- Gain "insider" career choice knowledge
- Learn academic and personal strengths and weaknesses from experience
- Make more informed course selections
- Finance all or a major portion of your education
- Develop the ability to understand and grasp course content upon return to the University
- Develop maturity, confidence, enthusiasm and a higher starting salary
Curious as to what other students have said about the program? See the testimonials
Other Important Information & Considerations:
- Coursework Requirements
- Curriculum Plans
- Disciplines Involved in MECOP
- Insurance Coverage
- Loans & Scholarship Opportunities
- Make sure to follow all the instructions on the application form.
- Important: Preselect applications are by invitation only. Applicants who were not invited will be rejected automatically.
Note: High school preselects skip step one because they are screened before being invited to apply.
Once the application window closes, all applicants will be pre-screened by university advisors to determine if they qualify for the program. This primarily constitutes confirming that any given applicant will be in good academic standing prior to their first internship and meet GPA, coursework, and other academic requirements.
Once this process is completed all applicants will receive an email stating if they passed screening. Applicants that pass screening will be invited to interview.
All remaining applicants will be invited to interview with a panel of MECOP industry representatives. Details regarding when and where you will be interviewed will be posted at the link below as the data is made available. This page will also contain information pertaining to dress code and details regarding what will happen.
Interview schedule and general info - (Documents will be posted in the days prior to interviews)
Interview results will be announced at or around the following times:
- Spring Applicants: Interview results are usually set out by the beginning of July.
- Pre-Selection Applicants: Interview results will be sent out approximately two weeks after interviews.
- Supplemental Applicants: Interview results will be sent out approximately two weeks after interviews.