Started as a collaboration between Oregon State University and our founding companies, MECOP is focused on providing training and development for the next generation of professionals through paid internships. Internships are aligned with university coursework to minimize the extension of time to complete degrees while maximizing the time to apply knowledge gained in the classroom to real-world projects in industry.
- Real work experience
- Two paid six-month internships
- Opportunity to experience two different work environments, management styles etc.
- Exposure and connections some of the Northwest's best companies
- Interact with professionals in your discipline
- Gain "insider" career choice knowledge
- Learn academic and personal strengths and weaknesses from experience
- Make more informed course selections
- Finance all or a major portion of your education
- Develop the ability to understand and grasp course content upon return to the University
- Develop maturity, confidence, enthusiasm and a higher starting salary
View all student testimonials
Working as a process engineer intern for Tektronix, Inc. has been an incredible experience. In a broad sense, I assist in maintaining and improving the manufacturing flow for several of our main product lines. Most of my key projects reflect Tektronix™ relatively recent surge to transition into a completely lean manufacturing environment. Largely, this involves turning our traditional manufacturing lines into lean cells process centered around removing as much waste as possible in the forms of excess motion, inventory, transportation and more. As my projects wrap up, it is a great feeling to see something I've worked so hard on become a reality and to see how my decisions affect a real work environment - something a classroom can't provide. In addition, my internship has provided the unique opportunity to develop a better work ethic, understand company and business culture, and learn to interact with people from a wide range of backgrounds. In this sense, MECOP is an irreplaceable experience that helps develop the most important attributes of an excellent worker.
- Oregon State University
- Oregon Tech
- Portland State University
- University Of Portland
Participating Student Disciplines
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Computer Science
- Construction Engineering Management
- Electrical Engineering
- Energy Systems Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
Students are selected into the program through two screening processes. First, applicants are screened academically by their university's advising department. This is to ensure students are on track to take upper-division courses necessary for an internship. Following screening an in person interview will be facilitated by company members representatives within the program. The goal of this screening is to make every effort to ensure that the students are qualified and ready for future internship placement.
Other Important Information & Considerations:
- Coursework Requirements
- Curriculum Plans
- Participating Disciplines
- Insurance Coverage
- Loans & Scholarship Opportunities
What happens after I fill out my application?
Other information regarding the application process, including interview information can be found at the link below:Selection interview information