Started as a collaboration between Oregon State University and our founding companies, MECOP is focused on providing training and development for the next generation of professionals through paid internships. Internships are aligned with university coursework to minimize the extension of time to complete degrees while maximizing the time to apply knowledge gained in the classroom to real-world projects in industry.
- Real work experience
- Two paid six-month internships
- Opportunity to experience two different work environments, management styles etc.
- Exposure and connections some of the Northwest's best companies
- Interact with professionals in your discipline
- Gain "insider" career choice knowledge
- Learn academic and personal strengths and weaknesses from experience
- Make more informed course selections
- Finance all or a major portion of your education
- Develop the ability to understand and grasp course content upon return to the University
- Develop maturity, confidence, enthusiasm and a higher starting salary
View all student testimonials
My name is Colby Fleck and I work as a CECOP Intern for the Transportation Division of the City of Springfield Public Works Department. As an intern, I have a variety of tasks in my regular workload. My duties include performing intersection turn counts and ADT tube counts, updating Transportation Division maps and as-builts as needed, reviewing encroachment permits, issuing work-orders, handling civilian service requests, utilizing crash data and signal timing data, in conjunction with traffic-specific software, to analyze safety and efficiency of signalized intersections throughout Springfield, managing small projects, reviewing public improvement projects to ensure lighting, signage, sidewalk, street, drainage, sewer, striping, electrical, signal, and detector plan compliance with standard specifications, and designing a grant-eligible bike-ped. facility for submittal to ODOT's Pedestrian and Bicycle Committee. Participating in the MECOP program has been an excellent experience. The real-world tangible knowledge of engineering concepts and practices has been and will continue to be a great benefit to me as I continue my education and career. So many things can be said about the value of field-time to an engineer, but only MECOP can provide an intern with both field-time and respect and treatment by other employees as a fellow engineer. I am impressed and motivated by the attitude towards me in the workplace, and am even more impressed by the quality of people that I get to work with every day.
- Oregon State University
- Oregon Tech
- Portland State University
- University Of Portland
Participating Student Disciplines
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Computer Science
- Construction Engineering Management
- Electrical Engineering
- Energy Systems Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
Students are selected into the program through two screening processes. First, applicants are screened academically by their university's advising department. This is to ensure students are on track to take upper-division courses necessary for an internship. Following screening an in person interview will be facilitated by company members representatives within the program. The goal of this screening is to make every effort to ensure that the students are qualified and ready for future internship placement.
Other Important Information & Considerations:
- Coursework Requirements
- Curriculum Plans
- Participating Disciplines
- Insurance Coverage
- Loans & Scholarship Opportunities
What happens after I fill out my application?
Other information regarding the application process, including interview information can be found at the link below:Selection interview information