Information Systems (IS)
IS professionals employ information technology (IT) to improve or enable business processes. They work with a company's IT and development staff in facilitating business process owners' needs for process automation and process re-engineering. IS graduates work in many capacities such as systems and process analysts, application developers, application support staff, and IT service staff.
MECOP's IS/IT interns build real-world skills and knowledge in database development administration, analysis, technical writing, end user support, and business aspects of technology. This program integrates technical, business and interpersonal skills, enabling students to gain valuable theoretical and practical experience.
Key Course Highlights
- Business Process Analysis, Modeling and Improvement
- Business Accounting, Marketing, Management and Finance
- Database Design and Applications
- Telecommunications and Networking
- Organizational Change and Development
Internship Project Samples
- Business Application Installation and Support
- Business Process Modeling and Analysis
- Dynamic Website Development
- Database Design and Implementation
- Desktop End User Configuration and Support
- IT Infrastructure Implementation and Support
Active Company Participants
The following participating companies have taken IS students in the recent past (within the last 5 years):
- Biamp Systems
- Daimler Trucks N.A.
- Garmin AT
- LaCrosse Footwear/Danner Boots
- Leupold & Stevens
- Oregon Department of Transportation
- Siemens EDA
- Washington County/Clean Water Services
MECOP currently accepts Information Systems students from the following universities:
The following timeframes have been laid out by our participating universities for when an internship should be offered. These timeframes have been structured to allow students to participate in the program and not fall behind on their upper-division coursework schedule beyond the terms that internships overlap.
Oregon State University
- Junior Year: Summer-Fall Internship
- Senior Year: Summer-Fall Internship
- Spring-Summer Internship: Internship occurring during Spring and Summer school terms (March through September).
- Summer-Fall Internship: Internship occurring during Summer and Fall school terms (June through December).
Each participating university discipline has a set of required courses that must be taken to stay on schedule for program participation. Theses requirements are optimized to provide the necessary skills to participate in MECOP's internships while minimizing the amount of time added to receiving a degree. If you are a student and want to discuss your current academic qualifications please see our directory of advisors for a list of staff members familiar with MECOP.
- For a full listing of coursework requirements, please visit: https://www.mecopinc.org/students/course-requirements
- Need a spreadsheet to plan your coursework? For sample worksheets, please visit: https://www.mecopinc.org/students/curriculum-plans
- Need to talk to an advisor familiar with MECOP? For advisor contact info, please visit: https://www.mecopinc.org/universities/advisors