Project Management (PrMgt)
Today's project managers work in teams to create unique products, services, and results. They work on projects that tend to have an established objective with specific time, cost, and performance requirements. These projects can range from developing next generation smart phones to building new production facilities to improving and updating existing data management services.
MECOP interns develop skills in both the science and art of managing projects. They use proven methodologies to define, plan, schedule, and monitor project progress. At the same time, they use their interpersonal and leadership skills to resolve problems, manage expectations, and sustain commitment to the successful completion of the project.
Key Course Highlights
- Scope Management
- Scheduling and Monitoring Progress
- Budgeting and Cost Management
- Leadership and Team building
- Negotiating and Problem Solving
Internship Project Samples
- Developing project schedule templates using MS Project
- Issue tracking during pre-production trials and product launch
- Developing an overlay of resource needs for multiple projects, aiding in resource planning and project start timing
- Analysis and report development of employee survey results
- Developing SharePoint site and file structure for business units, based on user needs
- Developing Team Board to display department metrics targets and track performance
Active Company Participants
The following participating companies have taken PrMgt students in the recent past (within the last 5 years):
MECOP currently accepts Project Management students from the following universities:
The following timeframes have been laid out by our participating universities for when an internship should be offered. These timeframes have been structured to allow students to participate in the program and not fall behind on their upper-division coursework schedule beyond the terms that internships overlap.
Oregon State University
- Junior Year: Summer-Fall Internship
- Senior Year: Summer-Fall Internship
- Spring-Summer Internship: Internship occurring during Spring and Summer school terms (March through September).
- Summer-Fall Internship: Internship occurring during Summer and Fall school terms (June through December).
Each participating university discipline has a set of required courses that must be taken to stay on schedule for program participation. Theses requirements are optimized to provide the necessary skills to participate in MECOP's internships while minimizing the amount of time added to receiving a degree. If you are a student and want to discuss your current academic qualifications please see our directory of advisors for a list of staff members familiar with MECOP.
- For a full listing of coursework requirements, please visit: https://www.mecopinc.org/students/course-requirements
- Need a spreadsheet to plan your coursework? For sample worksheets, please visit: https://www.mecopinc.org/students/curriculum-plans
- Need to talk to an advisor familiar with MECOP? For advisor contact info, please visit: https://www.mecopinc.org/universities/advisors