Accountants have many options such as serving as a CPA examining financial statements, providing advice in internal control systems, assisting clients with tax laws and compliance and providing advice on technology services. In addition, many accountants serve in industry developing, producing and analyzing data useful for decision making and reporting to internal and external stakeholders. Some interpret results for management, forecast future financial results and capital requirements. Many work in education, government, consulting information technology services, forensic accounting, environmental accounting and international accounting.
MECOP accounting interns gain experience developing a combination of leadership, communication, analytical, and problem solving skills, in addition to business savvy and technology know-how. The profession requires integrity honesty and objectivity. In addition, accountants/CPA's are required to utilize financial information for making business decisions.
MECOP currently accepts Accounting students from the following universities:
Internship Project Samples
- Development of a consolidated Accounts Recievables report for several business units
- Supplier Credit Risk analysis, reporting, and database updates
Key Course Highlights
- Transaction recording
- Financial reports - Gathering and summarizing data, analysis interpretation, and preparation
- Accounting theory and conceptual framework
- Fiduciary responsibilities of accountants and organization officers
- Ethical and legal responsibilities
- Current accounting issues
- Solutions to complex accounting problems
- Strategic role of IT
- Understanding of auditing, tax, corporate governance, internal controls, and external financial reporting